Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reflections for 11/18/10

"We don't like Jesus' new world order, especially if we think we are on top."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.372)

I do find myself laughing from time to time, when I hear people that look a lot like me complaining about their oppression. It's actually kind of sad in some ways, that the self image of most straight white males is that we're some dying breed. That we are being emasculated at every turn. That everybody else gets the breaks, the special treatment.

While I don't always have the greatest self-image, I know that the only person keeping me down is me. It isn't the color of my skin, my gender, my sexuality or my tax bracket.

The reality is that I probably still get a fairly smooth ride through life, and some of that smooth trip is not earned.

Those passages from scripture that point towards caring for the poor, the powerless are to be treated with the same honor and dignity as I, can be threatening I suppose.

If scripture is correct, and I believe it is, that in Christ there is neither male, nor female, Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, then I have nothing to worry about, those labels do not define me, nor do they entrap me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment