Monday, November 22, 2010

Reflections for 11/22/10

"Grace, that experience of unconditional love, breaks through the whole system and can change anything."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.388)

Most people are familiar with the hymn "Amazing Grace." It is a hymn which can stir deep emotions, has connections to our past and present, and at least the first verse can be sung by people who've never been in a church.

I certainly have had moments of grace in my life. Times where I deserved to fail and somehow didn't. Times where things seemed to be crumbling around me, yet stabilized. Times when I felt very alone, and then saw how surrounded by loving people I really was. I have experienced times when a situation seemed hopeless and for no explainable reason, something turned the event around.

Fr. Rohr writes of radical grace, which I would understand as truly overcoming insurmountable odds. And while I haven't had too many instances of insurmountable odds, I do believe that grace is a pretty radical concept. Some might call it dumb luck. The difference for me is that grace invites me not to repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Luck rarely brings a change in attitude towards life and others.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment