Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Reflections for 11/17/10

"Shame an honor are, in fact, moral values in the culture Jesus lived in. In other words, retaliation was the rule of Jewish culture. Not to retaliate would be immoral because you would not be maintaining your honor. You must be true to the honor of your village, your family, yourself to be a good first-century Jew."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.371)

While not disagreeing with Fr. Rohr's assessment of first century Palestine, I do not believe much has changed.

As a kid, I can remember that someone saying something about my mother, would be "fighting words." I wonder if honor somehow gets confused with personal pride? There are honorable actions that we can take, one's that reflect well on the positive aspects of being a human being. Honor for me should be something that I might receive not something I need to protect.

The Boy Scout Oath, begins with the phrase "on my honor, I will do my best." Honor again not being something to protect, but something that supports my need to do my best.

Jesus' teaching about turning the other cheek is a radical departure from the retaliation in protecting honor. And it is still a hard message to hear in our day.
We live in a society that often reflects the "eye for eye" mentality.

Much of our need for "honor" has more to do with our own self assessment rather than the reality of who we are.

As a person of faith, I believe firmly in being part of the creation that God said is "good." It is an honor to be trusted enough as a steward of creation and to be seen as a beloved child that way. It is a shame when I don't live fully into that original blessing.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment