Friday, November 26, 2010

Reflections for 11/26/10

"Prayer is sitting in the silence until it silences us, choosing gratitude until we are grateful, praising God until we ourselves are an act of praise."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 391)

For a noisy extrovert like me sitting in silence can be pure torture. Yet in those times when I've allowed myself to be still and be silent, I am often amazed at how the rest of me gets silenced. I find that my mind can shut off, which is often the first step in hearing what God wants me to hear. There is certainly enough of a cacophony in my surroundings and in my head that to hear anything is nothing short of miraculous.

I do believe that I have become more grateful as I begin to understand how important saying thank you is. To offer my thanks to God for not only the incredible and extraordinary things that happen to me, but also for the simple everyday occurrences that I might just as easily take for granted.

I'd like to believe that I am becoming an act of praise, because I believe in optimism, I try to live as joyfully as possible and to rarely allow negativity to rule my day.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment