Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Reflections for 11/2/10

"The more I travel, the more it becomes evident that it is culture which finally and firmly forms our attitudes-so deeply that we don't recognize them as chosen attitudes. It is an emotional seeing that is not easily challenged or overcome. How will God ever make unity out of our extraordinary diversity? Especially when each culture is so committed to its own pair of glasses."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 357)

I have not traveled as much as Fr. Rohr probably has. First he's older than me, second he's a celibate Franciscan Priest, no family to tie him down. I have however lived and visited different parts of our country, and will have to say, I think he's correct.

I know first hand how radically different life is in Iowa as compared to New Jersey. I went to college in Iowa for four years. I consider them some of the best years of my life. I attribute it to the more relaxed pace of life. Had I stayed in the hectic pace of New Jersey all my life, I'm pretty sure my blood pressure would be off the charts.

I also have roots in the South, Tennessee and North Carolina specifically and I again know that there is a radical difference in view point between them and what I get in New Jersey. There are aspects of Southern life that I personally like, yet my own NE liberal biases, are easily exposed in that climate.

Why even in my home state and current state, New Jersey, there is a cultural divide between North and South. All of it based on the major Metropolitan area which filters the news. NYC in the North, Philadelphia in the South. I grew up in the northern part of the state, I've lived my adult life in the southern part, so I know what I'm talking about.

I also know from those times when my viewpoint has changed how much easier it is to adapt oneself to the culture of an area. I get a southern dialect after 2 weeks.

Maybe it's because I'm fairly flexible and enjoy people enough that I will to a certain extent become one with the land. There are some values I won't give up, because those lenses have served me well. But I also know that sometimes they can get even more focused or perhaps clarified, when they are no longer the majority view.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment