Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reflections for 11/3/10

"I suspect we actually are stunted and paralyzed by having too many options. We are no longer the developed world; we are the overdeveloped world."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 258)

I was a tour guide for the admissions office of my college. It is probably where I got the original career notion that I wanted to work in college admissions. I remember giving a tour on which a father asked me the usual question "What is your major?" I responded "I'm a History major." Too which he responded "What are you going to do with that?" Too which, being the quick whit, I responded, "anything I want."

I will admit that I love options, choices etc. Or I should say I like having them. I'm actually not all that good at deciding, but the contemplation of the options is really quite fun for me.

When I went off to college, I believed I wanted to be a lawyer. I took to Political Science classes and that was the end of that. As I related above, I then explored the possibility of a career in college admissions. And in fact my first job after graduation was in that field. What I discovered after 6 months was that it wasn't the wide open field of College Admissions at any college or university that I sought, but the dream to be at my college doing it.

While I have been in my current position for almost 15 years, I continue to fight issues of restlessness, of thinking there are other options, in my case parishes, out there, instead of enjoying a feeling of arriving and being where I'm supposed to be.

I doubt we can ever fully feel a sense of completion and wholeness in a lifetime. Might be possible for some, but I know that it is a real challenge for me. Life has become like a metaphorical super market. That if I don't go into it with a shopping list, I can get overwhelmed pretty easily.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment