Sunday, April 10, 2011

Reflections for 4/10/11

"In terms of the world's sanity, Jesus is crazy as a coot, and anybody who thnks he can follow him without being a little crazy too is laboring less under a cross than under a delusion."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life."  p.95)

Under my senior picture in my high school year book I quoted rock singer Joe Walsh, "they say I'm crazy but I have a good time, life's been good to me so far."

I certainly had a reputation for being crazy, not in a psychological way, but in terms of marching to the beat of my own drummer.  I would say what is on my mind, without thinking of the consequences. I would have done lousy with living by public opinion polls.  I wrestled, which is usually associated with crazy people. But I also tended to be smiling a good chunk of the time.  I think it was generally because I was doing what I wanted to do and loved doing it.

There is a certain amount of craziness in being a person of faith. Much of what I believe is unprovable by scientific means. And there's certainly enough scientific proof of how things work, yet I keep believing.  While following Jesus is not nearly as risky a business as it once was, or still is in some places in the world, the apathy that I sometimes encounter is often harder to deal with than out and out hostility.

But for me being a crazy Christian, especially an Episcopalian, has given me many good times, wonderful memories and also moments of really feeling like I'm making a difference in my small part of the world.  And in following Christ and believing in God, I've found that in fact life has been good to me so far.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment