Friday, April 8, 2011

Reflections for 4/8/11

"How do I happen to believe in God? I will give one more answer which can be stated briefly. Writing novels. I got into the habit of looking for plots. After awhile, I began to suspect that my own life had a plot. And after awhile more, I began to suspect that life itself has a plot."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 94)

I am not a believer in predestination. I am a believer in process theology, which might be more easily understood as constant ongoing revelation.  Because of my belief in a living God, and one who seems to be interested in me and everyone else, what I do affects God's next move with regards to me.  The final chapter is basically written I believe, though I should probably leave room for last minute edits.

So what if anything do I see as the plot development in my life?  From my own perspective it seems rather mundane. Get born, grow up in a reasonably stable environment. Go off to college. Fall in and out of love. End up in love and married. Find a career, start own family,  keep living. 

Okay so that's a plot synopsis, the cliff notes if you will, and I'm leaving out some of the twists, the thickenings etc. While there are chapters that are complete and can now be read and interpreted, there is still much to be written I hope.

Each day is at a minimum a new line in the plot. Each life change the close of a chapter.  I find the author to be one incredibly imaginative writer, considering the character(s) he has to work with.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment