Sunday, April 17, 2011

Reflections for 4/17/11

"Throughout all these centuries there were always the prophets thundering out at king and people to remember their ancient mission to be the kingdom of priest that God had called them to be." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 99)

I wonder if we have prophets these days?  I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure.  I certainly will acknowledge that there are people challenging the powers that be all the time. But are they actually prophetic?  Sometimes I think they are more pathetic, and generally sending their message to an already appreciative audience.

I also wonder if in my own life I have prophetic voices that remind me when I'm not being fully me. When I've gotten off course.  Again I'm sure I do.  The most wouldn't see themselves as prophets to me, just good friends who can speak the truth in love.

And perhaps that's what most of us need more than a prophet.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment