Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Reflections for 4/2/11

"More than any other part of me, my face is the part where most of the time I live." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 86)

Today we celebrated the life of Marla Broughton. She may not be world reknown, but here at Holy Trinity Wenonah, she was perhaps the single greatest contributer to the atmosphere of this place.  Priests have come and gone, but the mark that she left was one that continues to permeate.

I bring her to mind not just because today was her funeral, but because of her smile.  If you were to ask anyone who knew her, that smile is what comes immediately to mind.  It was a smile that was present all the time, because it was rooted in a joy for life, a love for others and a belief that God truly loved her.

Even in her final years of battling ALS, that smile was still present whenever I visited her.  The joy of seeing a friend just brought it out.  And I could be reminded that if Marla could smile, even given what she was dealing with, I should attempt to do so also.

Our faces really do speak volumes of what we are thinking and feeling.  And even when we "make a face"  sometimes another part of that face gives the real meaning.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment