Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reflections for 4/29/11

"Prepared for the worst but rarely for the best, prepared for the possible but rarely for the impossible....Maybe the truth of it is that it's too good not to be true."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 108)

The motto of the Boy Scouts if memory serves me correctly is "be prepared."  The understanding being that as a scout I should have the skills to deal with any challenge that comes my way.  Physically and mentally there was certainly much that my Boy Scout experience had prepared me for.  I'm not so sure about emotionally.

I think a lot of what I was prepared for was mini-disasters, prepared for the worst.  Funny how as adults we continue to be prepared for the worst, give me the bad news first seems to be our mantra.  And it becomes so ingrained that we really are not prepared when something goes right.  We stand like a deer in the headlights, not knowing how to act or what to do.

We also are ready for what's possible. It is what keeps us plodding forward. However it is the seemingly impossible that fires up the imagination, and gets us thinking outside of the box. 

I also know the phrase "something is too good to be true."  That's usually what I say, when something positive is said about me or when something amazing is promised with no strings attached. And the cynic in me refuses to embrace it.  And yet might I be missing out on something so good, how can it not be true.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment