Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reflections for 4/6/11

"Not the least of my problems is that I can hardly even imagine what kind of an experience a genuine, self-authenticating religious experience would be. without somehow destroying me in the process, how could God reveal himself in a way that would leave no room for doubt/ If there were no room for doubt, there would no room for me."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.91)

Much like Buechner I haven't had one of those types of religious experiences. No lightening bolts, no road to Damascus in my faith journey.  I somehow seem to have always just known, or been very open to the possibility that "proof," whatever that might be, has not been anything I've needed or desired.

I certainly have had questions that might be construed as doubt by some.  Since I don't read scripture literally, but see it as containing incredibly deep truths, it has allowed for room in my mind and heart to the reality of God for me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment