Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reflections for 4/26/11

"God is absent from all Job's words about God, and from the words of his comforters, because they are words without knowledge that obscure the issue of God by trying to define him as present in ways and places where he is not present, to define him as moral order, as the best answer man can give to the problem of his life. God is not an answer man can give, God says,. God himself does not give answers."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life." p. 105)

The story of Job is seen by some as a treatise on why bad things happen to good people. The only problem is that in this case bad things happen because God makes a bet.  And the Job requesting an answer to the question why, is basically told to shut up and stop whining, because he's so puny in the grand scheme of things.  Not the most satisfying answer.

And perhaps the problem has always been that when we attempt to give God all the credit or all the blame. For me it is more about seeing God working with and through me in my successes and my failures that keeps me from giving or taking all the credit or all the blame.

I was struck by the part of the quote which said "God himself does not give answers."  That is sure to rub some believers the wrong way.  But I would guess that for many a seeker, sojourner and perhaps even the most cynical non-believer there is a ring of truth to it. 

Even as a believer in God, I cannot say that I have been given definite answers.  I will say that I've noticed how in praying to God, things have gotten clearer and less burdensome.  I do see God as a constant companion, not a puppet master, not a harsh parent, but as a friend, a person with Ed's best interests at heart, who guides but allows me to see things for myself.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment