Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reflections for 4/4/11

"Follow your feet. Put on the coffee. Start the orange juice, the bacon, the toast. Then go wake up your children and your wife. think aout the work of your hands, the book that of all conceivable things you have chosen to add to the world's pain. Live in the needs of the day." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 89)

Ah yes, the daily routine. Most of us have them.  My alarm goes off at 6 a.m. most days.  I head for the bathroom, deal with the cats, start making the lunches, and by 7 am make sure the other three people in the house are moving, then go take my morning walk.  There of course is coffee and breakfast before the day gets really rolling, and most importantly that daily shower where I do most of my thinking.

I may ponder some of the bigger wish list things to do, but I try to stay focused in the hear and now.  I keep remembering Jesus' words, not to worry about tomorrow, today's worries being enough for today.  Funny how he says that after telling me not to worry.

But if I go to far afield in the bigger dreaming of the might be's I often lose track of the need to nows.  And those needs start to really howl when they get ignored.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment