Monday, April 25, 2011

Reflections for 4/21/11

"But the fact of the matter is that in a way it hardly matters how the body of Jesus came to be missing because in the last analysis what convinced the people that he had risen from the dead was not the absence of his corpse but his living presence. And so it has been ever since." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.102)

Resurrection: Myth or Reality, is the title of a fairly controversial book by Bishop Jack Spong.  The basic premise as I recall is that the reality of the resurrection isn't in the proof of the actual event, but in the long term impact from those who believe.

I think its true that those of us who believe are not convinced so much by an empty tomb but by a living presence.  An empty tomb has lots of possible explanations, even the Gospel of Matthew gives one, the disciples stole it.

For me because my faith is one that is living and evolving I resonate with the living presence.  It is not "buddy Jesus" on my dashboard.  But an intuition that something very real is going on in my life.  As I've written before it often defies explanation.  I just know that it is truly real for me.

I also know that resurrection isn't a one time event, it seems to occur quite a number of times in the course of one's life.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment