Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Reflections for 4/3/11

"You are alive. It needn't have been so. But it is so now. And what is it like: to be alive in this maybe one place of all places anywhere where life is? Live a day of it and see. Take any day and be alive in it. Nobody claims that it will be entirely painless, but no matter. It is your birthday, and there are many present to open. The world is to open." (F.Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 88)

I'm not sure who said this, "today is the first day of the rest of your life."  I know I could look it up, but not right now.  I find it to be true no matter who said it first.  From the moment I wake up and stay awake, it is a new start.  While I have a general idea of what might happen each day, there is always some twist or bend that comes unexpectedly. Sometimes these unexpected things are really cool.  Other times not so much. 

I don't try to avoid any days.  I haven't had any where I didn't want to get up and see what might be on tap for that moment.  I try to be as alive and engaged in the moments that come my way.  I find it makes life more interesting. 

While my life is fairly predictable and for the most part not all that exciting. That may be why those moments that don't fit neatly into the day's agenda are the ones I look forward to the most.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment