Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reflections for 4/7/11

"I believe without the miracles I have prayed for then; that is what I am explaining. I believe because certain uncertain things have happened, dim half-miracles, sermons and silences and what not.  Perhaps it is my believing itself that is the miracle I believe by. Perhaps it is the miracle of my own life." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.92)

I have seen "miracles."  Miracles for me are phenomenon that occur that defy explanation. When the scientists can offer no plausible explanation. When doctors are baffled by recovery, although it is possible they just misdiagnosed.

I have also seen things that are not as stunning, but miraculous none the less. When something feels so hopeless and then through no effort on my part, changes.

And to believe in an era with so much information, and so many new discoveries might seem miraculous. Though its probably more a belief in continuing revelation.

And yet probably the greatest miracle is that I'm alive, loved and in some small way making a difference in the world in which I live.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment